Do you have a strong desire to be creative in your workplace? If you find yourself looking to be a key role in a company, then becoming a marketing associate is right for you. As a marketing associate, you will be the support to the marketing department and other departments.
A marketing associate is responsible for planning and executing marketing activities as well as how to promote the company they work for.
The duties and responsibilities of a marketing associate include providing support to the senior marketing staff, handling communications, and preparing or gathering data. While supporting the marketing department, a marketing associate is responsible for the day-to-day administrative tasks.
In order to be a successful marketing associate, you must have a deep understanding of marketing and how to use various marketing tools. Like any job that requires interpersonal skills, this career needs customer service and customer behavior analysis.
Sample job description
We are searching for a dedicated marketing associate that will lead and oversee the marketing department. As the marketing associate of [Your Company Name], you will create marketing strategies and develop marketing campaigns. The most important part of being a successful marketing associate is the ability to assess and provide excellent customer service. If you are dedicated to quality customer service and being creative in the workplace, our company is the perfect place to work for you.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Manage daily administrative tasks
- Prepare reports
- Collect customer behavior data
- Analyze and interpret customer behavioral data
- Manage market research data
- Assist in the organization in promotional events and activities
- Monitor and report competitor sales and marketing activities
Education and experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or business
- One to three years of experience in marketing, business, or similar field
Required skills and qualifications
- Interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Verbal and written communication
- Organizational skills
- Time management skills
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing or business
- Excellent analytical skills
- Deeply creative
- Strong problem-solving skills
Typical work environment
Typically, marketing associates work in an office setting. They work a 40-hour workweek with overtime as necessary to finish their work and meeting deadlines. Marketing associates communicate mainly through email and phone calls. However, travel may be required. When attending meetings or planning special events, a marketing associate will have to travel overnight.
Marketing associates usually work the hours of 8 AM to 5 PM, with weekends off. Depending on the scope of the job and the company, they may need to work some holidays for special events.
Marketing associates can be promoted or considered highly if they possess certifications in their career path, such as:
- Professional Certified Marketer: Professional Certified Marketer certification is the most famous of the AMA which will differentiate your spot in the marketing field. Hones your knowledge and proves expertise in specific marketing areas.
- Certified Sales Professional: Certified Sales Professional provides information about sales strategies and will allow you to master the ability to move your buyers and customers through the sales process easily and effectively. This certification is the foundation for sales and marketing professionals. It is made by the National Association of Sales Professionals.
- Digital Marketing Certification: This certification is the ability to be certified by the Digital Marketing Institute and the American Marketing Association. The program focuses on social media marketing, website optimization, and publishing content.
- Microsoft Advertising Certification: For digital marketing, this certification is free and will make you look more appealing to potential employers, which can conform to your marketing experience.
To become a marketing associate, you must go to school and acquire a bachelor’s degree in marketing or business. Entry-level marketing jobs are the best way to start a marketing associate career. Once you acquire some experience as a marketing associate, you can begin assisting with creative processes, presenting reports, and start to plan special events. The next step in the career path is to look for a management position. Managers will maintain and make marketing strategies. The director of marketing requires six to seven years of experience in order to focus on marketing strategies alone.
US, Bureau of Labor Statistics’ job outlook
SOC Code: 11-2021
|Projected Employment in 2030||348,600|
|Projected 2020-2030 Percentage Shift||10% increase|
|Projected 2020-2030 Numeric Shift||31,800 increase|
The marketing associate career is projected to grow 10% from 2020-2030. This number is expected to be similar to other occupations and will provide about 31,800 openings. These openings are expected to be made possible thanks to the retirees and those who exit this career path. Marketing associates are going to continue to be in demand due to companies always looking for new ways to advertise their brand and find new customers.