Do you love working with your hands and fixing things? Do you have a keen interest in how things work? If so, a job as a maintenance technician might be ideal for you.
If something is down or broken at a business, it can interfere with core business functions. A maintenance technician keeps that from happening. Maintenance technicians are essential people responsible for the upkeep and continued functioning of their employer’s property and equipment. Whether it’s vital machinery, building and property structures, heating or plumbing, maintenance technicians play a critical role in keeping everything moving for a company by troubleshooting and fixing problems.
Sample job description
Our position for a maintenance technician is vacant at [Your Company Name]. The general job of this position is to keep everything maintained in a given facility. If there is a task you are incapable of completing, scheduling and planning repairs will be your responsibility to ensure the building is in optimal condition. In order to find needed repairs, you must create and complete a routine for quality reports. More elaborate inspection may be required depending on the piece of equipment. In addition to this, creating and following procedures designed to temporarily fix things is required, in case of unavailability. It falls on the responsibility of this role to keep pests, insects, and things of the like under control at all times. The measures to achieve this are optional, so the decision is up to you. You will be required to keep alarms up to date and inspected, whether it is fire alarms, security alarms, or other safety measures. On top of all this, it is your task to ensure inventory needed for job completion is constantly up to date, and the lack of it will not be a hindrance. Every task must be done within a set budget, so you must have the ability to work within that. Exceptions may be made to uncommon occurrences. If this type of work seems up your alley, consider applying!
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Receive work and repair orders, and complete them promptly
- Troubleshoot and repair various warehouse machines when necessary
- Perform routine preventive maintenance
- Maintain overall maintenance of warehouse and related areas
- Adhere to workplace safety requirements
Education and experience
This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent and experience in repairing and maintaining machines.
Required skills and qualifications
- Excellent technical and mechanical skills
- Troubleshooting ability
- Expertise in general maintenance, plumbing, heating, and electrical repair
- Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Valid driver’s license
- Maintain a good driving record
Typical work environment
Where you work entirely depends on where you get your job. Very commonly, this will be hospitals, schools, offices, restaurants, and many other areas where the service is required. You can expect your hours to be similar to that of a regular 9-5, with the occasional difference. If a repair is urgently needed, do not be surprised to receive calls at later or earlier times. Working on your feet for long periods of time is to be expected, as it is primarily your duty to fix what is broken. This may include working in loud industrial places, or mellow office spaces. It entirely depends on where you are accepted.
The typical work hours for a maintenance technician can be from 9 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday, with after-hours or weekend hours possible.
A maintenance technician will benefit from having certifications that deal in relevant fields. This will increase their ability to showcase their expertise in the field. Some of these certifications include:
- CMRT. The Certified Maintenance and Reliability Technician program allows you to learn and prove the basic skill sets needed to be a maintenance technician. Gaining this certification shows you have the ability to consistently maintain a facility. As if that wasn’t enough, it also allows for you to show commitment to the career.
- CAMT. Certificate for Apartment Maintenance Technicians is a certificate made specifically for those working in apartments. If you already work exclusively in apartments or wish to, this certificate has the possibility of reassuring your employer, possibly giving you a raise, or even landing a job. Overall, it will teach and test the skills needed to work with apartments, specifically.
Becoming a maintenance technician can start with a high school diploma or equivalent, but like with many career paths, further learning and skill-building can advance future opportunities. The Certified Maintenance & Reliability Technician (CMRT) program is the leading credentialing program recognized for maintenance technicians.
US, Bureau of Labor Statistics’ job outlook
SOC Code: 37-3000
|Projected Employment in 2030||1,319,500|
|Projected 2020-2030 Percentage Shift||8% increase|
|Projected 2020-2030 Numeric Shift||92,600 increase|
The increased use of more technologically advanced and sophisticated systems and machines demands that successful maintenance technicians keep up with those advances, and how to maintain and repair them. There looks to be an ongoing need for skilled, knowledgeable people to fill the maintenance technician role.