If you have solid sales experience, exceptional leadership skills, and great communication abilities (both verbally and written), you might want to consider a position as a VP of sales.
Vice presidents (VPs) of sales are high-level executives in charge of sales in an organization. They typically lead a sales team, strategize and determine sales objectives and goals, and manage the efforts to achieve and exceed those objectives. They must be excellent leaders, have great organization and planning skills, and be creative thinkers. VPs of sales set monthly, quarterly, and yearly goals to ensure that the company is on target to meet each goal. They assess talent, hire, train, and develop the sales team, while also managing the sales budget. These individuals should have a good understanding of market trends and how to use their resources to take advantage of them.
VPs of sales need excellent communication and interpersonal skills and great working knowledge of effective sales strategies. They should have an in-depth knowledge of the market, an eye on the competition, and exceptional customer service skills. Advanced sales skills are essential to succeed as a VP of sales, as is the ability to motivate employees and drive success. These leaders will also need to be very familiar with the products and services in their company.
Sample job description
[Your Company Name] needs a professional and experienced VP of sales to join our international team. As the VP of sales, it will be your duty to oversee the sales department and ensure that goals are met in accordance with our timelines. You must also ensure that the company performs well in sales, either matching or exceeding the desired amount. As the VP of sales, it will be your responsibility to work with the marketing department to increase ROI (return on investment) and design the proper marketing materials. You will also be responsible for running split tests and identifying where improvements and modifications can be made in sales plans in order to increase the profitability and reach of these plans. As the VP of sales, you must have a level head and good communication skills, as well as excellent problem-solving skills. If this sounds like you, please consider applying!
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Develop strategies relating to the company’s market, products, services, and sales goals
- Work with executives to determine and execute sales plans to meet organizational needs
- Perform day-to-day oversight and management of the sales team
- Set and manage sales department budgets
- Track, analyze, and present sales metrics to senior leadership
- Facilitate current client relationships and grow new ones
- Analyze market trends and plan sales strategies accordingly
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field required
- Extensive experience in sales, preferably in the employer’s industry and in a leadership position
Required skills and qualifications
- Robust leadership abilities and an innovative, entrepreneurial attitude
- Experience in sales, customer service, or related field, preferably in a leadership role
- Familiarity with CRM platforms
- Strong analytical skills
- Knowledge of and insight into market trends, with an ability to think strategically
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Self-motivated and driven to succeed
- 10+ years of experience in sales and management
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
Typical work environment
A VP of sales performs the duty of overseeing, directing, and managing sales teams in order to ensure that they function properly and successfully. As a VP of sales, you may work in many different fields or sizes of organizations. This may include international organizations, all the way down to single locations. Some of the common responsibilities of a VP of sales include managing sales teams and maintaining relations, managing budgets and setting goals, creating reports, and more. As a VP of sales, you must have excellent communication skills and the ability to understand and solve complex problems when needed. You may also be in charge of overseeing the creation of marketing materials, as well as ensuring that the sales ROI is as desired.
The typical work hours for a VP of sales are from 9 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday, in an office setting.
As a VP of sales, you must demonstrate excellence in multiple categories. Some of the most common certifications which may prove useful for a VP of sales would include the following:
- Certified Sales Professional (CSP) – The CSP certification, one of the most popular certifications for a VP of sales, provides the necessary experience and qualifications that are required for this role. This certificate requires more than 2 years of experience in order to apply. Because of this, it is often recognized as a chief and primary certification for sales professionals and managers.
- Program Management Professional (PgMP) – As a Certified Program Management Professional, individuals will be able to showcase their ability to lead multiple teams and programs towards success in their goals. This certification is immensely important in order to demonstrate one’s ability to manage programs, including interpersonal and management skills. The PgMP is an internationally recognized certification and is recommended for VPs of sales who have 2 or more years of experience in the field.
The career path for a VP of sales starts by obtaining a bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field. Also, earning certifications like Certified Professional Sales Person can help professionals to advance within their career in sales.
US, Bureau of Labor Statistics’ job outlook
SOC Code: 11-2022
|Projected Employment in 2030||425,800|
|Projected 2020-2030 Percentage Shift||7% increase|
|Projected 2020-2030 Numeric Shift||27,900 increase|
According to the Miller Heiman Group, sales management professionals should always be agile and adaptable in their approaches. Training is key. Sales leaders need to coach the sellers on their teams, helping them grow their skillset and close sales opportunities.