Do you have exceptional communication skills and outstanding presentation skills? Are you looking for a career where you can put your sales expertise and tech skills together? A technology solutions sales professional might be the perfect career path for you.
Technology solutions sales professionals provide technical hardware and software solutions to customers to meet company needs and goals. They typically offer solutions such as computers and servers, office management and word processing software, and data storage and information security systems. As a technology solutions sales professional, you might be involved in retail sales to consumers or long-term sales contracts for large organizations or anywhere in between. Excellent communication skills are required to convey technical details and capabilities of products to technical and non-technical clients. Stellar presentation and sales skills are a must to show customers how the solutions will meet their needs.
Technical solutions sales professionals must be able to build strong relationships, be good negotiators, and possess the technical knowledge of the products and services they represent to communicate the benefits of their solutions to clients. Staying current on trends and emerging technologies is a must for technology solutions sales professionals, as is attention to detail and a high level of motivation.
Sample job description
[Your Company Name] is searching for technology solutions sales reps to add to our team! We would love to have you join our salesforce. The technology solutions sales rep is responsible for providing technological solutions for customer issues and instructing these customers on the proper digital and physical technology to assist them and solve their issues. As a technology solutions sales rep, your job will include reviewing the needs of clients and presenting them with solutions to their problems, providing relevant quotes to clients, demonstrating products when needed, and negotiating prices on bids. The ideal candidate should have experience in the sales and technology fields and should have proven success negotiating deals and sales with previous customers or clients. As a technology sales rep, you must have a good understanding of the technology which you will be selling. Our company will offer training on this aspect if required, so having experience in sales and customer relations are the most important skills.
Typical duties and responsibilities
- Assess client needs and promote suitable products
- Meet with decision-makers and provide information about software products
- Perform product demonstrations and training as needed
- Negotiate sales prices
- Construct pitches and sales presentations
Education and experience
An associate or bachelor’s degree is usually required for this position. Employers prefer that candidates take coursework in business technology, information technology, management, communications, marketing, sales, or related topics.
Required skills and qualifications
- Written and verbal communication skills, including relationship-building and influencing
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite or similar software, including spreadsheets and databases
- Negotiation skills
- Strong sense of organization and time management
- Extensive experience in sales and technology
- 3+ years of sales experience
- Great interpersonal skills
Typical work environment
Technology solutions sales representatives are responsible for meeting with customers, assessing their needs for either hardware or software, and providing bids and negotiation for these customers. A technology solutions sales rep should have experience with sales, presentation, and various technologies. The technology field in which the sales rep is working may vary depending on the business. As a technology solutions sales rep, you will be responsible for demonstrating the product you are selling and the effectiveness of the product. You may also be responsible for providing training on products when required in order to further the sale and create a successful sale. Because of this, you must have a good understanding of the product you provide as well as sales, demonstration, and customer education.
The typical work hours for a technology solutions sales professional are usually from 9 AM to 5 PM.
Although technology solutions sales reps work in a variety of fields and may require different certifications depending on the specific technology which they are selling, these sales reps will benefit from general certifications which demonstrate their experience and their position as well. Some of the most common certifications are:
- Certified Professional Sales Person (CPSP). Offered by the National Association of Sales Professionals, the Certified Professional Sales Person certification is a widely recognized and important program for a sales representative to complete. This certification program ensures that sales representatives have professional competency and expertise in their field. Because of this, this certification can be immensely useful to a technology solutions sales rep.
- Certified Inside Sales Professional (CISP). The Certified Inside Sales Professional certification offers an expert-level test and certification for sales representatives. This certification requires re-testing every three years, so a technology solutions sales representative who holds this certification can demonstrate their continued experience and expertise in the field.
Some technology companies have training programs for technology solutions sales professionals. Others require a track record in sales. Technology solutions sales professionals who perform well can advance into sales management positions, overseeing sales professionals for a particular region or territory, or working with clients with more extensive technology needs.
US, Bureau of Labor Statistics’ job outlook
SOC Code: 41-4011
|Projected Employment in 2030||316,500|
|Projected 2020-2030 Percentage Shift||6% increase|
|Projected 2020-2030 Numeric Shift||18,200 increase|
According to the technology solutions firm The AME Group, there are a few trends that will shape the technology solutions field in the next few years. One is the increased need for data security. Since companies collect more data about their customers and how they do business, they will need more hardware and software solutions to protect it. Also, more companies are moving to cloud-based computing, both for increased security and increased efficiency. Industry thought-leaders predict many companies will begin focusing on cloud computing as a core component of their technology strategy.